At February’s player auction, Sunrisers Hyderabad used their right-to-match card for three-time IPL hat-trick taker Amit Mishra after Delhi Daredevils bid 4.75 crore for the 31-year-old legspinner. Their move was not in the least bit surprising, considering Mishra’s success in the tournament.
Here are a few of statistical achievements that show Mishra’s worth in the IPL:
– Mishra is the IPL’s second highest wicket-taker with 95 from 76 games (average 20.25, economy 6.93, strike-rate 17.5, best of 5/17).
– He has the second best average for a spinner behind Sunil Narine (14.65) – that of 20.25.
– He has the seventh best economy rate (minimum of 40 games) for 6.93, the fifth best for a spinner in the IPL.
– His strike-rate of 17.5 is the third best across all six seasons (minimum 40 games) and the best for a spinner.
– Mishra is the only bowler to take three IPL hat-tricks. On April 17, 2013 against Pune Warriors, he became the first bowler to achieve the distinction, courtesy a stunning penultimate over in which he dismissed four players to clinch an 11-run win for SRH. He had earlier taken hat-tricks against Deccan Chargers in 2008 when he was playing for Delhi Daredevils and then for Deccan against Kings XI Punjab in 2011.
– Mishra has won eight Man-of-the-Match awards in the IPL – the best by a bowler.
– Mishra’s best returns in an IPL season came in 2013, when he took 21 from 17 games at an average of 18.76, economy of 6.35 and strike-rate of 17.7.
– Mishra is the Hyderabad-based franchise’s second-highest wicket-taker with 53 (32 when they were known as Deccan Chargers plus the 21 he took in 2013 when they became SRH). Since they became SRH, no one has more than Mishra’s 21 wickets. Pragyan Ojha took 60 wickets for DC. Dale Steyn currently has 51 (32 for DC, 19 for SRH).
-He is one of only six bowlers in the IPL to have taken three four-wicket hauls or more. The highest is Narine with four, followed by Mishra, Anil Kumble, L Balaji, Munaf Patel and Lasith Malinga with three each.
– His most economical outing came against Rajasthan Royals in 2013 when he had figures of 4-0-8-2.
– His personal best of 5 for 17 (for DD in 2008) is the sixth best in the tournament.